All events are FREE to the public unless otherwise indicated.
2014 Poster of Events
- Feminist: Stories From Women's Liberation movie screening - Wednesday, March 26th at 7:00 pm at Alicia Ashman Branch Library.
In celebration of Women's History Month a compelling documentary by filmmaker Jennifer Lee who reveals the deep roots of the women's movement in the post-war years. Discussion to follow. Held at Alicia Ashman Branch Library, 733 N. High Point Rd, Madison. Sponsored by Madison Public Library.
- "Gender and the Body" Visual Art Exhibit - Saturday, March 29th, Doors open 7:00pm/Open Mic 8:00 pm at Electric Earth Café.
Art viewing and celebration with spoken word artist and musician Jamilla Woods at Electric Earth Café, 546 W. Washington Ave. Sponsored by Campus Women's Center.
- Brave Miss World movie screening -Tuesday, April 1st at 7:00 pm at Union South.
A documentary by Cecilia Peck and Inbal Lessner, about rape survivor and Miss World, Linor Arbargil's, quest to turn personal tragedy into global awareness. Held at the Marquee Theater, Union South, 1308 W. Dayton Street, Madison, WI. Sponsored by WCASA, PAVE UW, and RCC.
- Day of Action Tabling Event - Tuesday, April 1st from Noon- 3 pm at E. Campus Mall.
Allied student Organizations tabling and offering information about Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Held at 333 E. Campus Mall, Madison, WI. Sponsored by PAVE UW.
- Panel Discussion on Alternative Healing Modalities for Survivors of Sexual Assault and Incest - Wednesday, April 2nd from 4 - 6 pm at Hawthorne Library.
Panel discussion with Mary Crawford (Energy Work), Terri Pellitteri (Tai Chi), Grace Valentine (Movement/Dance Therapy), and Kelly Hora (Acupuncture). Held at 2707 E Washington Ave, Madison, WI. Sponsored by RCC.
- Chimera A - Wednesdays, April 2 & 9 from 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. Class will be held in McConnell Hall.
Designed and taught by women, Chimera teaches adult and adolescent women specific effective skills to address the threat of sexual violence. Pre-registration required by 3/28. Both sessions must be attended. The registration fee for Chimera classes is $30 for public/$20 for students. Sponsored by RCC. For more information or to register, please visit DaneCountyRCC.org/Chimera or call (608) 251-5126.
- Women's Resource Fair - Thursday, April 3rd from 5-6 pm at Trip Commons in Memorial Union.
Interested in learning how you can use your feminism in a future career? Come to this Resource Fair to make connections and learn more about organizations and workplaces in the larger community doing work in gender activism. Held at Tripp Commons in Memorial Union, 800 Langdon St., Madison. Sponsored by the Campus Women's Center.
- "Un-Run" to Benefit RCC - Sunday, April 6th
A unique (non)event to benefit the Rape Crisis Center of Dane County by encouraging supporters to make a donation and take the morning off! Register by making a tax-deductible donation to receive a "race packet" with coupons for items and discounts designed to help you enjoy your morning off. Sponsored by Rape Crisis Center. For more information or to register, please visit Un-Run.org or call (608) 251-5126.
- Bascom Hill Display - Monday, April 7th at University of Wisconsin-Madison.
An awareness display on Bascom Hill for the UW community. Held at University of Wisconsin-Madison Lower 1/3 of Bascom Hill. Sponsored by PAVE UW.
- Project Unbreakable - Wednesday, April 9th at 7 pm at Sterling Hall, Room 1310.
Project Unbreakable increases awareness about sexual violence while encouraging healing through art. Held at Sterling Hall, Room 1310, 475 N Charter St, Madison. Sponsored by PAVE UW. For more information visit Facebook.com/pave/uw.
- Community Read-In - Saturday, April 12th from 11:00 am -1:00 pm at Goodman South Madison Public Library.
Excerpts from stories of healing from sexual assault. Informal discussion to follow, with refreshments. Held at 2222 S Park St, Madison, WI 53713. Sponsored by Project Respect.
- Sexual Assault Facts vs. Myth Display - Monday, April 14th & Tuesday, April 15th at Bascom Hill.
A display featuring sexual assault facts vs. myths. Held at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Bascom Hill. Sponsored by UW Sex Out Loud.
- Public Talk by Transgender Activist, Janet Mock - Wednesday, April 16th from 7-9 pm at Union South.
Public talk by Transgender activist, Janet Mock, to impart vital insight about the unique challenged and vulnerabilities of trans youth and brave women like herself. Held at Varsity Hall III (2nd floor), Union South. Sponsored by UW LGBTCC & more. Doors open at 6:15pm. Q&A and book signing to follow.
- Street Harassment Awareness Week Info Drop - Friday, April 18th from 11:30-1:30 pm at Bascom Hill.
Sharing information about addressing street harassment. Held at Bascom Hill on Campus and State Street near the Capitol end. Sponsored by Madison NOW.
- Spoken Word with Climbing PoeTree - Saturday, April 19th at 7:00 pm at Union South.
Alixa and Naima of Climbing PoeTree interweave spoken word, hip-hop, and award-winning multimedia theater to expose injustice, channel hope into vision, and make a better future visible, immediate, and irresistible. Held at Union South, Northwoods Room, 1308 W Dayton St, Madison. Sponsored by Campus Women's Center. For more information visit Facebook.com/campuswomenscenter.uw.
- Public Talk by Molly Herrmann - Monday, April 21 at 5:30 pm at Humanities Building, Room 2121
Public talk by Molly Herrmann speaking about sexual assault in the LGBT community, as well as new research on sexual assault in the bisexual community. Held at Humanities Building, Room 2121, 455 N Park St, Madison. Sponsored by PAVE UW. For more information visit Facebook.com/pave/uw.
- Street Harassment Awareness Week - Monday, April 21st - Friday, April 25th at the WiNOW.org and the Wisconsin NOW Facebook page.
Visit WiNOW.org for information, resources and discussion on the topic of Street Harassment. Sponsored by Madison NOW.
- Healing Through Music and Movement Therapy - Friday, April 25th from 4-6 pm at the Hancock Center for Dance/Movement Therapy
Open House & Program. Music therapist RoseAnna P. Cyr, MA, MT-BC and Movement Therapist Grace Valentine, MA, LPC will show how these therapies are used. Voluntary participation in exercises in grounding boundaries and self-expression. Light refreshments. Held at 16 N Hancock Street. Sponsored by the Hancock Center for Dance/Movement Therapy. For more information visit HancockCenter.net or call (608) 251-0908.
- Voices of Courage Awards Luncheon - Saturday, April 26th from Noon-2:00 pm at the Masonic Center
Join the Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault to recognize outstanding work of individuals and organizations state-wide dedicated to supporting survivors and ending sexual violence. Lunch is $10-scholarships available. Held at the Masonic Center, 301 Wisconsin Ave, Madison. Sponsored by WCASA. For more information and to register visit WCASA.org.
- 3rd Annual Wrap around the Capitol- Saturday, April 26th from 2-3 pm at the Capitol
Join hands and encircle the capitol to demonstrate support for survivors of sexual violence. Held outside the Capitol Building, Hamilton (NE) entrance. For more information visit WCASA.org.
- Scenes & Songs from Paul McComas' Novel "Unplugged"- Friday, May 2nd from 2-7:30 pm at the Alley Stage
Author Paul McComas and musician Maya Kuper tell the tale of Dayna Clay, protagonist of the 2002 novel Unplugged, through 12 scenes on an outdoor stage. Cost is $20. Held at the Alley Stage, 18 Shake Rag St, Mineral Point. Sponsored by Shake Rag Alley Center for the Arts in Mineral Point, proceeds benefit Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN). For more information visit ShakeRagAlley.com.
- A Spark for RCC!- May 5th-May 12th
Online community auction benefiting the Rape Crisis Center. Check online throughout April for GREAT items and fun experiences- all up for bid to support the work of RCC. For more information visit RCCSpark.org or email RCCSpark@gmail.com.
- Ladies Night Out- Thursday, May 15 from 5-8 pm at the Greenway Station
An evening of shopping, dining & entertainment. Enjoy exclusive sales, free appetizers & treats, complimentary chair massages, live entertainment & prizes. The first 300 attendees will receive a $10 Greenway Station gift card! All for a $5 donation to benefit the Rape Crisis Center. Held at Greenway Station, 1650 Deming Way, Middleton. Sponsored by Greenway Station. For more information visit GreenwayShopping.com.
Most up to date information on events is listed above.