GameChanger Youth Advisory Board 2017/2018
Hey, Dane County high school students! Want to be a GameChanger next year? Sign up to be notified when this fall's application opens up.
Be a GameChanger:
Dane County Youth Advisory Board Application
Together with schools that are committed to changing the culture of sexual violence, the Rape Crisis Center GameChangers Youth Advisory Board will build change and leadership across Dane County. Sixteen students will be selected to participate in the GameChanger board for the 2016-2017 school year. Board members will be responsible for educating themselves and their fellow board members about some of the root causes of rape culture, and will develop projects designed to address these issues. The focus will be on primary prevention, rape culture, and the intersectionality of oppressions. GameChangers are expected to attend and participate in all meetings - see the list of dates below.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
*Mandated reporting policy: If anyone under the age of 18 discloses a personal experience of abuse or neglect to an RCC employee or volunteer, the Rape Crisis Center will file a report with Child Protective Services or law enforcement. RCC chooses to follow mandated reporting policies.
- Current high school student in Dane County.
- Passionate about social justice, collaborative, responsible, and innovative.
- Excited to work with other teens who may be different from the applicant.
- Consistently available via email and able to attend meetings twice a month.
- Understanding of RCC's mandated reporting policy.*
The GameChangers Board will meet twice a month, once on a Saturday morning and once on a Wednesday evening. Free lunch or dinner will be provided. Meetings will be held at the Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault (WCASA) at 2801 West Beltline Highway, Suite 202, Madison, Wisconsin 53713.
The dates for the meetings are:
GameChangers may not miss more than 6 hours of meeting time. If you have concerns regarding your availability for meetings, you may contact the Rape Crisis Center to discuss them.
What will I work on as a GameChanger?
- Saturday, October 15, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Wednesday, October 26, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Wednesday, November 2, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Saturday, November 19, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Saturday, December 3, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Wednesday, December 14, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Saturday, January 7, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Wednesday, January 18, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Saturday, February 11, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Wednesday, February 22, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Saturday, March 11, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Wednesday, March 22, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Wednesday, April 5, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Saturday, April 22, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Saturday, May 13, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Wednesday, May 24, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Wednesday, June 14, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Saturday, June 17, 10:00am-1:30pm
GameChangers will spend the first half of the year researching one of the following four contributing causes of rape culture:
- Rigid gender roles & expectations
- Culture of hypersexualization
- Acceptance of violence over systemically oppressed groups
- Sexual entitlement & cultural misperceptions of consent
In the second half of the school year, GameChangers will develop a number of projects in response to these issues, to be completed by the end of the 2016-17 school year.
What can I expect from my experience as a GameChanger?
Rape Crisis Center is committed to the development of young people, and will pay each student $8.33/hour, to be paid monthly. Rape Crisis Center will also provide:
The application period for 2016-2017 is now closed.
- reimbursement for travel mileage to and from every meeting
- materials for the final projects
- childcare, if needed
Please visit our website for any updates or contact Kari Hajduk at (608) 251-5126 or by email at